Dienstag, 31. Oktober 2017

Exchange student feelings

Exchange students are all over the world and of course we´re all different. Anyhow, I think there are some feelings or situations - almost - everyone can relate too. I collected a few and stole some ideas from Marlene who´s currently in Estonia (you can find her blog and her post here: marlene-in-estonia.tumblr.com). So enjoy reading how weird it is to be an exchange student. 

- hearing the name of your homecountry in a conversation in the language of your hostcountry and immediately reacting to it as if it was your name

- hearing the strangest verions of pronouncing your name
- becoming kinda patriotic suddenly even if before you would have never said you are proud of your homecountry
- feeling the weirdest when your hostfamily starts fighting and you have no idea whats going on
- understanding one word and celebrating yourself like you just won the lottery
- calculating through differenct time zones all the time
- "But why did you come here?"
- constantly being afraid of falling in love
- spending all the classes translating things on google translate and panicking because the teacher changes the slide before you finished typing
- talking in your mothertongue to people who dont understand a word
- trying to sing songs in the foreign language just by making up words
- Knowing swearwords in all the languages
- What do you mean you dont feel like 5 feelings at once????
- "I just received my monthly payment!" ... "AAAAND its gone!"
- never studying or doing homework at all
- having too many facebook friends
- asking for a translation that google wont find and finding out its something really nasty (my host dad did not translate "masturbating in a circle" for me. Never happened.)
- having no idea what to answer when people ask you how your exchange is going because of these 5 different feelings at once and anyhow: do you want to have a whole book as an answer or should I do a 5 hours voice message?
-  a conversation like this: "then i called my mum and.." "which mum" "my second host mum" "so then we started to cook when my brother called" "which brother" "my german brother" "and after we talked my sister wanted to know..." "which..." "MY COLUMBIAN HOST SISTER DAMN IT"
- following people around everywhere

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen